GLOWiD's SPF School!
Finally, we have the great pleasure of launching no less than two new sunscreens! Both are from the brand Dr. Ceuracle and in connection with this launch, we thought it was in place with a proper SPF school. Because as we all know, it is not only in the summer that it is important to protect yourself from the sun, but it applies all year round, and therefore a thorough SPF school is always relevant!
Before we go into everything about SPF, we thought we would describe the news in more detail.
- Cica Regen Vegan Sun Gel is a completely vegan, chemical, sunscreen reminiscent of its predecessor. It has SPF 50 PA ++++ and contains Actinidia Argute (Kiwi) Extract which has nice anti-inflammatory effects on the skin. It has a light texture that quickly sinks into the skin, without any white surface and with long-lasting hydration - perfect as a base for make-up. It also contains Centella Complex which immediately soothes and repairs damaged and sensitive skin.
- Pro Balance Biotics Clear Up Sun is a combined chemical and physical sunscreen with SPF 50 PA ++++. It gives a nice glow and has a smoothing effect on the skin thanks to the fact that it contains Niacinamide and 5 Probiotic complexes that counteract and kill bacteria that can contribute to infections and inflammation in the skin.
Further then to what is actually meant by both SPF and PA.
SPF - Sun Protection Factor and tells you how many percent protection the product gives your skin against the sun's UVB rays. For example, SPF 50, which both of our sunscreens have, provides 98% protection. With the help of the number, you can also calculate how long you can be in the sun on average before you turn red. If one e.g. turns red after 15 minutes and has SPF 20, then you can take 15 x 20 = 300. You can be out in the sun for 300 minutes before you turn red. However, this is very much affected by the skin's individual sensitivity, how much sunscreen you have taken and how strong the sun is. So even if you have sun protection, for example, you should always avoid the sun when it is at its strongest during the day (11-15) and pay attention to how the skin feels and looks.
PA - Protection Grade of UVA, is a label that instead refers to the protection of the sun protection against the UVA rays. There is a scale that refers to the different pluses and how the protection is linked to them. It looks like this;
PA + = Some UVA protection
PA ++ = Moderate UVA protection
PA +++ = High UVA protection
PA ++++ = Extremely High UVA protection
Both the sunscreens from Dr. Ceuracle has PA ++++, which is the highest protection against UVA. These pluses correlate with something called PPD, and PPD refers to how long it takes for the skin to get color. If the product has PPD 2, it takes twice as long for the skin to get color with the sunscreen, unlike if you were to be unprotected. For this there is a scale as well;
PA + = PPD between 2 and 4
PA ++ = PPD between 4 and 8
PA +++ = PPD between 8 and 16
PA ++++ = PPD of 16 or higher
For Dr. Ceuracle's sunscreen that has PA ++++ thus takes about 16 times as long to get color with the sunscreen, as opposed to getting color without the sunscreen.
Why do you want to protect yourself against UVB and UVA radiation and what is the difference between them?
UVB - The UVB rays are useful in the sense that they provide the skin with the energy needed to produce vitamin D. UVB rays do not go as far into the skin as UVA rays but only penetrate the outer layer of the skin (epidermis). The UVB rays are absorbed directly by cellular DNA and this is what can lead to skin diseases such as skin cancer. The UVB rays are also the rays that can cause hyperpigmentation.
UVA - The UVA rays penetrate deeper into the layers of the skin, down to the dermis. UVA rays also stimulate free radicals in the skin, which can cause problems such as premature aging of the skin, sun eczema and pigmentation.
A trick to remember how to distinguish these in an easy way is to think UVB - B as in Burn, what makes you burn. UVA - A as in aging, what affects the aging of the skin.
The difference between Chemical and Physical sun protection?
We have both chemical and physical sun protection with us. Cica Regen Vegan Sun Gel is a chemical sunscreen while Pro Balance Biotics Clear Up Sun is a mix of chemical and physical.
Chemical - In a chemical sunscreen, the chemical filter penetrates into the skin, absorbs the UV radiation there and converts it into harmless radiation.
Physical - With a physical sunscreen, the filter settles on the outside of the skin, which means that when the sun's rays reach the skin, they are reflected away and bounce off. It is thus not absorbed as much by the skin.
Some good tips when it comes to SPF and sunbathing;
- SPF is one of the most important steps in your skin care routine, all year round! A large part of the UV radiation penetrates clouds and it is therefore important to use sunscreen all year round, even when it is not a hot radiant summer day!
- It is extra important to use SPF when you have products in your routine that in some way exfoliate the skin, such as AHA or vitamin C. This is because exfoliation causes old cells to disappear you and new ones come to the surface. These new cells have never been exposed to the sun's rays before and are therefore more sensitive than usual, so SPF is your best friend.
- An important thing to keep in mind with SPF is to reapply during the day if you want the SPF level to be kept all day long. Especially if you sweat a lot or bathe, then you should feel free to reapply every two hours.
- The most important thing is to apply enough sunscreen to be sure that the skin is covered properly and that you get up to the SPF level that is on the product. A good rule of thumb for the face is 1/2 teaspoon or having your fingers as a yardstick, e.g. to have 2-3 fingers (index finger, middle finger and ring finger) length of product for face and neck. It should feel plentiful!
- Do not forget to lubricate your ears, neck, neck and décolleté as well!
- Despite sun protection, we are happy to use a hat or cap as well as sunglasses for extra protection!
Hope you will like our two news and do not forget that even though the sun is lovely and that we will of course enjoy it, we will do it smart! If you have any questions, we are as usual on DM on Instagram where we are called @glowid, on our chat on our website and our infomail, firstname.lastname@example.org.
/ Team GLOWiD